CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, November 7, 2008

Bob Dylan and George Harrison

Bob Dylan has won a Grammy, Golden Globe and some Academy Awards.

He's been inducted in to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame.

And Songwriters Hall of Fame.

In 2008 he was awarded a Pulitzer Prize Special Citation for his impact on music and American Culture.

A lot of his songs were protest songs like "Oxford Town," it was written about the crap James Meredith had to go through as the first black man to enroll at the university of Mississippi.

He walked out of the Ed Sullivan TV Show because he was told the song he was planning on singing was potentially libelous to the John Birch Society. Rather than change his song, to a nicer one, he simply left.

George Harrison, well, he was a Beatle. And they were good friends.








3 comments:

Bradley, DeAnna, Donovan, and Chamae said...

My dad would be impressed with your musical knowledge

The Leithead Family said...

Sara...I didn't know you were such a music guru! I love the Beatles...I didn't know George Harrison sang 'Got My Mind Set On You'. Now I do!! Fun!

Greg said...

OK...this is where I love that I can share my opinions with you, and know that you will be pissed off like you would at your brother...but we will still be on talking terms.

Bob Dylan wrote, and Performed some GREAT music! The reason I do not like Bob Dylan because he mixed art and politics. I understand that this has been the medium of protest since the world was created...Artists of the Dark Ages were the driving factor in bringing the Holy Spirit back to the earth, Shakespear made statements against the Crown in his plays, and Musicians from the 60's played out messages of change. I just don't agree with it.

When I hear someone from Hollywood or a musician stating their political views, and using their station as a platform to push an agenda I do not give them a second thought. As an example, I will watch ANY movie Tom Hanks is in because he seperates his personal feelings as his work. On the flip side, Robert DeNiro is equally as talented but his political statements have turned me off to the point that I won't watch his work.

Bob Dylan influenced so many people in so many ways through his music that you can't help but to respect his power...I just don't agree.

(Soapbox dismounted)